Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Starting to Weather the Ties

Today I started weathering the battered up ties, by giving them a wash of India Ink. I mixed the ink with plain tap water. No reason to go fancy with alcohol or similar stuff.




I made the mixed rather dark (whatever that is?). Which does not mean I took very much of the ink. You need always go easy with India Ink, and you'd better test on a loose tie before applying the wash to the "real" ties. Below is a comparison of some freshly washed ties (bottom of picture) and some that have had the time to dry for a few minutes. You can see that they turn lighter as they dry.



And here is what it looks like after a few hours. But this is only the base coat. I will come back and add other shades.


I also had the time to lay, sand and "scratch" the ties on the other side of the turnout.


No comments:

Post a Comment