Thursday, February 2, 2017

A larger bush

I have practised some more on making trees and bushes, with varying result. But I thought I should share the process leading to my latest creation - a somewhat larger bush.

I started out with some sisal fibres which I cut in approximately 5-7 cm (2-3 inch) lengths. The fibres where then assembled into a mat like structure using a piece of folded wire. Like this:



To make the fibers stand up straight I folded them along the wire, and clamped them upside down (wire up) in my Work Mate. Only the bottom, folded end, is sticking up.



To make the folding last I soaked the fibres with glue. I used ordinary PVA glue.



Once the glue had set I could remove the bush-to-be from the Work Mate, and now it looked like this, after being turned bottom down.



I then spread the fibres to make the bush wider and give it a more "bushy" form. I also did some trimming to get rid of the longest fibres, I also sprayed the underside a grey color, to make the fibres there look more like stems.



Next step was to add some static grass fibres. They provides more slender branches, and also make a more denser base for the foliage to come. I used 6 mm (1/4 inch) fibres, secured with hair spray.




Finally I added some foliage, namely Noch light green leaves.



Last some picture with this bush planted on the layout, behind the fence. Outside the fence are some smaller bushes I did using the same technique.



No comments:

Post a Comment