Friday, July 10, 2015

Tie Weathering, part 3

The next and last step in the tie weathering process was to go for that sun bleached look. I did that using a trick I think I picked up somewhere on the Proto:87 Stores web page, but that was before it got its new look. Anyway, the advice was to use  oil paints, namely a mix of Titanium White and Ultramarine Blue. More of the former and less of the latter. Do not make an even mix, but more of a "hotchpotch", like this.



Then I sort of dry-brushed this on top of the ties, with a quite stiff brush. After which I smeared it out with a piece of cloth, which also got rid of any excess. I also highlighted the ends of the ties with the same kind of dry-brushing.



Once the track has been laid, and rust is applied to the track and the tie plates, the ties will also get its share of rust coloring. But that is later...

No comments:

Post a Comment